Monday 11 March 2013

"Colour Wheel" painting just finished....

Phew!!!.......that was a slog. Have just finished my latest painting. Mainly watercolour, but with a bit of pencil and some loveley pearlescent liquid acrylic.

Set myself the challenge of seeing if I could make up a painting of insects from Britain, from every colour of the spectrum....I wanted to illustrate how colourful insects can be....literally every colour of the rainbow!

I trawled lots of different sources...my own specimens, my own photos, taken on my travels and also the occasional visit to a museum to look at their Victorian entomological collections....I also had help from one natural-hisory website, for one of the butterfly images.- thanks Roy and Marie!

The finished result is quite busy...but that is what I want. I want it to look like the insects are exploding off the page....like a "Catherine Wheel" firework.

The insects are arranged in a circular pattern and split into slices of "pie". Each piece of "pie" is dedicated to a different colour of the spectrum and features 4 insects......This is how the "blue" and "green" sections were built up....




....and this is the finished result......



 
 
The painting took ages to finish, because of the research and the number of insects.  When it is mounted and framed, I am hoping it will have a strong impact on the viewer....who will hopefully look at insects with a more appreciative eye......
 
Going to enter this one and a couple of others into the National Exhibiiton for Wildlife Art in the Summer ....so fingers crossed, as it will be my first attempt at entry...
http://www.newa-uk.com/pages/home.php

No comments:

Post a Comment